Earlier this week, I listened to an interview with Lisa Earle McLeod, the author of “Selling with Noble Purpose: How to Drive Revenue and Do Work That Makes You Proud” In the interview, she spoke about salespeople having a Noble Selling Purpose – a reason for selling that goes beyond “to make a lot of money.” In particular, she talks about how sales is a service industry – that we should look for ways to serve our clients. Selling with a noble purpose enables both the customer and the salesperson to build a relationship and prosper far beyond a single transaction.
That idea of a Noble Selling Purpose resonates with me. It’s doubly important in real estate brokerage, since we are supposed to hold our clients needs above even our own [our "fiduciary duty"]. At a personal level, I tried to encapsulate it this was in my About page;
I believe real estate brokerage should be based on three principles;
- Having a ‘Servant’s Heart‘ . . . My goal is to find the home that best fits the client’s needs — no matter how hard the transaction might be. After all, making hard transactions easy is part of the job.
- Having the ‘Soul of a Teacher’ . . .done correctly, of our clients will leave a transaction with enough knowledge they could sell their next home without us, but be so pleased with our service they won’t want to.
- A Spirit of “Competitive Cooperation”. . .buying or selling a home can, and in most cases should, be a winning proposition for everyone involved with the transaction.
Another example of a Noble Selling Purpose is the Go Realty Core Beliefs;
- We Believe In a $6 Cup of Coffee: Go Realty believes in a $6 cup of coffee…a premium experience for a select group of clients who value positive energy and unforgettable service.
- We Believe in Magic: We believe in looking for the exceptional moments to create memories that will be shared again and again. Our mantra is “Be memorable.”
- We Believe in Giving Back: Our community supports us with opportunities to sell homes and land. We honor that opportunity by giving back.
- We Believe in our Team: We are collecting the most creative, productive, and energetic team in real estate. We got their back; it’s all about supporting them on their way to peak performance.
- We Believe in our Clients: We’re not #1 in sales units. It’s not about market share. The star of this show is the client.
- We Believe in Simplicity: Clear communication, everyday language, real people, genuine affection.
- We Believe in Change: We are passionate about performing the crazy idea. Failures are truly okay. We are nimble, quick, and ready to step out of, onto, or just plain over top of the box.
- We Believe in Being Better: not by comparison to others, but by comparison to ourselves. Serving better, making improvements, and growing our approach are fundamental and daily pursuits.
Having a set of Core Beliefs building a Noble Selling Purpose enables us to rise above ourselves and truly serve others. What about you? What can you define as your Noble Purpose? I’d love to hear it in the comments.